So recently during my Greek Seminar reading we have been encountering the word agapeo meaning to love, implying that it is a higher, everlasting form of love. We also encountered the word Philo which is a verb meaning to love, but also to be familiar with, be used to, or kiss. Often Philo is used to describe familial Love between parents and children or siblings, even friends. As I am continually looking at the bible in its Greek form, I notice that both words are being used.
in John 21:16:

"He said to him a second time, Simon, son of John, do you love me? He said to him, Yes, Lord; you know that I love you. He said to him, Tend my sheep."

In this sentence Jesus is using the word Agape. but Simon replies with Philo. 
I looked at that and I was like WOW. This just speaks volumes, although Peter did not necesserily answer exactly what Jesus asked, Jesus was still gracious, in accepting his human love that. peter's response, "I love you" could mean: I am familiar with you, I love you like my friend, you are my dear, my own. 

Jesus' answer to Peter's confession: "Tend my sheep", can tell us a lot about ministry and living a missional life. namely that we must first know God, have a relationship with him and be used to him, spending time in his presence, following after him. I hope that was interesting and thought provoking, Be blessed!

0 comments: